Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dad Parmenter in Arizona

I've lost track of when this started. About two weeks ago my dad, who was taking a medication for pain in his legs, got dizzy from the med and fell. We think he hit his head and suffered a subdural hematoma.

Essentially bleeding on the brain. No one is suggesting a surgical procedure, so hopefully that means it isn't as serious as it could be. Sadly, the added pressure on the brain from the blood suppresses brain function. He is often confused and can be combative with the staff at the nursing home where he is supposed to be going through rehabilitation and recovery.

My brother Allen who lives in Phoenix was there the first week, and my brother Mark is there this week. I'm flying out today to take the next week. My parents are both in their 80s and this experience is overwhelming for my mother.

Our job out there is to advocate for consistent and quality care.

It's been hard to sleap frankly. My father was always a kind man, strong disciplinarian, and he was definitely his own boss. It grieves me to see him confused and to see him upset that he just can't leave and go about his business.

I think back to when I was a child, his arms were the strongest and safest place to be. Now we are the ones who are comforting him.

I'm glad to do it, and will happily do what ever it takes to make sure he gets the care he needs.

This has been hard for Marge, just weeks after her own father died and went to be with Jesus. We are thrilled that he is with Christ, but it's lonely to be without him. All of that is brought back fresh for her now that my father is in the hospital.

Pray for our comfort, and for my father's recovery.

Adam

No comments: