Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Slogging Through

I think that we are at the part in pre-field where we learn endurance. I have a flexible working arrangement now at work so that I have each Tuesday off. The idea is that on Tuesday, I call Baptist, Bible and community churches in a region that I've zoned out on a map.

I make the calls and get some answering machines, get a few no-thankyous, and get a bunch of "yes, send us an information packet". One Tuesday in June I made 60 calls and totaled 80 for the week. Most other Tuesdays, I also am studying and doing other missions related work, so I make about 30, but still get about 50 calls in. The calls are either a first contact with church or a follow up.

I gets to be a bit relentless. I sent out a bunch of packets to churches in Iowa, but haven't called them back yet, because they might be under water. Right now I'm working my way through Illinois. My wish is that we would have a bunch of speaking engagements lined up. I love doing them. God is teaching me to trust Him, and rely on Him first and foremost.

So, yesterday (Tuesday) I got no calls made. I went to a physical therapy session to help deal with hip pain, and later had extreme pain for the rest of the day. Right now the cure is worse than what ails me. I decided not to force my self to somehow focus and start calling. Instead I went to bed.

All of these experiences give me a sense of comfort. It's hard to see how things will work out so that we are on a plane bound for the Czech, but I know it will. So, trying circumstances are an opportunity to trust and build my faith "muscles". It's a challenge, but I apreciate the excercise.

Adam

No comments: