Monday, January 8, 2007

Gifting

Oh, this post is a little rambling, but spiritual gifts and how you discover God's call . . . that's all on my mind in a big way these days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So what are spiritual gifts? I've been reading about these lately, and have been considering them. Wiser men then me have written large books about them, but what strikes me most is that they are given to all believers in varying measure in order to serve and build up other believers. The purpose is so that church (i.e. the gathering of believers) may be taught and mentored into being like Jesus.

For me, that states what I want to be as a missionary: I want to be an equipper. I want to use my skills to teach, train, and mentor people into a mature relationship with Christ. A relationship in which those I serve will in-turn mentor, teach, or train. I feel drawn to work with young men and children. I think, I enjoy the openness of children and their sense of wonder.

It's exciting to investigate and discover the treasures hidden in God's Word. They're there for anyone with the time and willingness to dig for them. For example, the first chapter in Genesis is a vast treasure trove of wonder. I've made several presentations on the wonder and vast artistry of God's creative power. Using Microsoft PowerPoint and pictures drawn from the internet, you can expose people to that very wonder buried in the text of Genesis chapter 1. Frankly, I've only scratched the surface. Romans 1:20 says that God's invisible attributes can be perceived from what He has made. It's like an art historian telling you about what a certain painter was like by looking at the paintings. So, I had a PowerPoint slide show that took a glimpse at the vastness of outer space to the minutia of sub-atomic particles called quarks. In both those macro and micro scales there is an orderliness and system to all things that betrays the hand of a maker. There is no evidence of random chance in the created order of things. There is also an indication of God fierceness in the roaring rage of the lion or black bear. There is also an indication of God's tenderness in the gentle warmth of a kitten and the trust of an infant.

I could go on and on, but these sorts of visual tours of creation fascinate and awe me as they introduce me to the God who both gave his life for sinners in Jesus Christ and indwells all who believe in God's Holy Spirit. The God who made the universe is the same God who raised Jesus from the dead. The same God whose Spirit dwells in all believers.

Anyway, I've gotten distracted.

I want to spend my days introducing people to the fullest wonder of my Lord Jesus: God and Lord, Savior, and King. I'm not sure what that gift is, but I'm eager to use it more.

No comments: