Saturday, January 6, 2007

References and Reactions

References and Reactions

It's funny how some of the people reacted to being asked to provide a personal reference to ABWE on Marge, myself or both. I felt honored that a brother-in-law of mine wanted to talk to me first and then give it some prayer. He wanted what he had to say to be "spirit lead". It humbled and honored me that he took it so seriously. Others were really excited to be part of us going to the mission field and couldn't wait to find out where we finally decided to go. For me there are a couple people who were willing to do the reference, but made it clear that they didn't understand why I would want to do such a thing.

Speaking of reactions, it has been curious the variety of reactions that I get. Frankly, I see myself as just an average guy. Really. I think that I'm fairly bright in some respects, but far from brilliant or monumental in any way. I will say that there are times recently when I've said or sung something as an act of humble service to God and it has come out as profound and moving. I credit that entirely to God's work. Even as a singer I am average. I am good at singing and song writing, but I am in no way great. I'm not using some kind of false modesty. Compared to singers or song writers in the business, the great ones stand far above me.

So, you can imagine that the fact that ABWE (or BGC for that matter) encouraged us in our pursuit of missions was a surprise. I kept expecting some one at some point to make us put on the breaks and say, "Why don't you just stay here in the states and support missions." That hasn't happened. Quite the contrary with ABWE, I have been looking at some of their various works and there are a number of opportunities for some one such as myself.

So, for me it is an honor and a privilege to be considered for service as a missionary. It is a natural extension of my relationship with Jesus Christ and how it is growing. Also, it is a response for my desire to have more time to do church stuff. I want to spend time mentoring and teaching people. That's my reaction to this whole journey to missions: surprise and gratitude.

There are some at work that are in "awe", so to speak, that I would even attempt such a thing. There is one that looks at me as sort of some kind of hero of the Christian faith. That always throws me to hear that kind of response. I think any Christian who has even a little desire to serve could turn the skills God has given them toward missionary service.

We have some friends and acquaintances that have told us, when you start raising support, come talk to us. We want to support you financially. That is humbling as well. For any missionary candidate it is important that they build a support team around them, but understanding what that is has taken a great deal of thought on my part.

I have to confess, that for me, my level of "support" to many missionaries has been their prayer picture card is stuck to my refrigerator by a magnet. Is that how those of us at "home" participate in the work of a missionary?

Our parents are cautiously supportive. For both sets of parents it makes them a little nervous to see their children and grand children flinging themselves into the unknown. This process all started in April, and at the very earliest we will be on the mission field in early 2008. I'm hoping that gives enough times for all of our friends and loved ones to get used to the idea, and for us to communicate a sense of why we are going and how they can help.

Adam

No comments: