Sunday, June 3, 2007

Day 2 - On the Plane

MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
Our flight to Amsterdam, delayed one hour due to a thunder storm, is fairly comfortable. It's about 7am local (1am Michigan) with ear plugs, sun glasses and a dose of unisom I was able to get some shallow sleep. It's fairly cramped quarters here in the coach section, and the noise of the aircraft seems thunderous to my sound sensitive ears.

That said, it's been a delight to travel with my wife Marge. It's all just a little romantic. The purpose of our trip isn't for a romantic vacation. We our hoping to discover if the Czech is where God wants us to serve. It's a bit jarring to have lost the six hours flying over the ocean. Fortunately it happened while I was asleep, but it still seems a bit unreal.

IN AMSTERDAM
To me the Amerstam airport seemed like the drunken Yellow Brick Road full of confused Dorthies. It just sort of meanders and curves, and many people seemed onsure of where to go. People around us seemed to be walking in slow eratic lines, while we were trying to walk quickly to our gate on time. We found our gate just fine. I carry ankle weights, and wear them when I fly. They help me feel grounded and and my legs don't cramp up as easily. We had to go through a second security check, and I pulled out the ankle weights separately so that they could see them. This time I sailed through security.

The Czech Airlines flight was uneventful. It was only about an hour, but I was ready to get off the plane before we got on. Once in Prague, we sailed through baggage pickup. At immigration we presented our pass ports, they were stamped without the agent even saying a word to us, then in customs, we poked our heads in and looked over at the customs agents and they waived us through without even looking up.

Of course in my over active imagination, I pictured all sorts of trouble.

Pastor Barnes was waiting for us, and after loading our luggage we drove out of Prague on a major interstate. The four laner quickly gave way to two lanes, hills and lots of curves.

I'll post up some pictures soon.

Adam

No comments: