Monday, June 4, 2007

Day 3 - "After Midnight"

AFTER MIDNIGHT

It is a little after midnight on what is officially the second day of our survey trip. I had been asleep for nearly three hours when i was awakened by a dream about missions. It was nothing prophetic by any means, instead it was me discussing what my mission and vision statement might be. I have fairly dull dreams as you can see.

So, I'm sitting up and writing for a bit, before I go back to sleep, even though back in Michigan it's about 6:30 in the evening.

MORNING ON DAY 3

I didn't roll out of bed until about 8:30 this morning, and then squeezed in a quick walk a little ways into Boršov where the Barnes live.

At 10am Marge and I sat in on the language study session. It sounds hard, but I would love to learn this language. This is the Barnes second language as they started mission work in Hungary. I've always heard that after you learn a second language the third is easier, but I don't think that is always true. It's still challenging, hard work as you have to learn not only to say words, but hear them. You have to train your ears to hear correctly.

Marge and I have a growing respect for the Barnes family. They served in Hungary for five years, before coming to the Czech Republic at the request of Vlada Donat Sr. Their were some big sacrifices for Pastor Ron, his wife, and their three children as well. They struggle with learning another language as one would expect, and I assume they have other adjustments, but they see the great need for the message of Jesus Christ. I think it helps them take the difficulties in stride.



Vlada Donat is the president of the Baptist Union, Czech Republic. He invited Ron to come to Southern Bohemia and support the establishing of new churches so that the hope that comes from Jesus Christ can be spread in an area largely bereft of Christian churches.

Later I wandered I wandered farther into Boršov where the Barnes live, and enjoyed its simple beauty.



EVENING DAY 3

In the evening we went to a cafe in Ceske Krumlov to watch some friends play in a jazz band. The sax player is Vlada Donat he recently graduated from seminary and is working to open up the Baptist Seminary to train new pastors. There are currently 36 Baptist churches in the Czech Republic and only 30 pastors. Some of those 30 pastors are nearing retirement, so the need is clear. Pastor Ron is mentoring Vlada and helping him plan for the school.

We also got to meet Milan Pis. He is working on planting a new church in Ceske Krumlov. Tonight's concert was partly an opportunity for Vlada to get together with some old buddies from the states, but it also served as an opportunity for Milan to get to know the community better. It was a great evening, and a fun opportunity to get to know the missionary team and the nationals better.

Well, we just called the kids, and now I need to get some rest. Tomorrow will be a more structured day, and a little busier.

Adam






No comments: