Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Candidate Seminar - Day 12


Well, this today marks the end of my ABWE bass playing career. Such as it is. During the first week of Candidate Seminar the request was put out that they were looking for a bass player for the next week, did any one play bass. I said that I serve as a fill-in bass player or drummer at church.


So, off I went. I've never played that many songs. One song in the morning meeting, and then four in the PM session. We never repeated any either. I was in a little over my head.
In the picture, I'm standing, but after the first night I set up a little bass cubby hole, where I could sit safely in the background and keep my eyes on the charts or if I got completely lost, just stop playing.
Tomorrow night is the ABWE 80th Anniversary dinner, and then Friday is the Candidate Recognition service, so tonight was the last night for me to play bass. It was a lot of work, but it was a great opportunity. It made me want to own my own bass so I could practice and build some confidence.

Tonight the speaker was from Brazil. It's amazing to find out that the churches in Brazil have sent missionaries into Cuba and have a thriving work there. I feel like I'm way out of my league.

Each night they have been recognizing ABWE missionaries that have served for 20 25 or 30 years, and then a special award is given to those who have served for 35 or more. Some of these people sailed over on ships. One of the men that was getting his award for serving 30 years said that he never felt like a real missionary, and he was thankful that they let hang around for so many years. All of them expressed a joy and appreciation for having had opportunity to serve as missionaries through ABWE.


In the corporate world the veterans often are the ones who are more jaded or who have become embittered due to disappointments and changes. The veterans here are energizing and exciting. The couple tonight that was getting their 35 year award was in Togo and then somewhere in East Africa, then in Ghana West Africa. Three different languages. All because the mission needed their experience and skill as new fields of service were opening up or their help was needed. They are currently on furlough and are excited to be returning and have plans for when they get back.


What other job is there where the people are still excited about what they do after so many years. I know that there has to be people that don't like ABWE, and there are missionaries that are tired, lonely and depressed. Each one of the veterans that got up to receive an award could likely testify to hours of frustration and hardship, yet what energises them is when people come to put their trust in Jesus Christ and their lives are filled with hope and a new purpose. That must make even the hardest times worth while.


I'm sure I'll find out one way or another. I'm just sort of humbled to be in such company, and hope that it will be me up there in 30 getting to encourage the younger ones.


Adam

No comments: